Dart- throwing is a sport that requires high accuracy so it is important to know the best way to throw darts. Just follow the steps that we provide in this article and you will know how to properly throw a dart.
Best Way to Throw Darts
Stance, grip, and throw are three important techniques when playing darts. This 4 steps guide will help you to have a good start.
Step 1. Assume the Proper Stance
Since dart is a high precision game so even your body position can have a huge impact on the result. Assume the correct stance will help you throw more stably. There are four kinds of stance:
The forward stance
This is considered to be the most ideal position when throwing darts. In this stance, place your dominant foot in front with the toe touching the throwing line and put the other foot behind for balance.
The side stance
For this position, you keep the edge of your dominant foot onto the position with the oche while placing the other foot behind at an angle.
The angled stance
This is the favorite stance for professional players as it provides greater stability. Put your dominant foot on the throwing line at an angle then place the other one behind also at an angle with half a foot apart.
This is the least common position but suitable for beginners. Place your feet forward without exceeding it.
A useful tip for people who just start to play darts is keeping legs, shoulder, and hip in the straight line to increase accuracy. Moreover, according to professional players, you should put 75% of your weight to the front foot for a better balance.
There is no concept of a perfect stance as each player will have their style and standing position. Just choose the one that makes you feel the most comfortable.
Step 2. Gripping the Darts
Gripping is how you hold the darts. Just like a stance, there is not a perfect or imperfect way for gripping. Therefore, how to throw darts with precision without a guideline of choosing the proper grip.
Well, do not worry! Below are some factors that help you choose your gripping style.
It is important to find the right grip as you cannot hold too tight or too light. You should use pressure that makes you feel relaxed while throwing. Using too much pressure will make your muscles become stains, which is the main reason for throwing errors. If you hold the dart loosely, it might fall out of your fingers.
How many fingers to hold a dart?
The number of fingers that we use to hold a dart depends on the barrel of the dart. The more fingers we use, the more stability the darts have.
If you use three fingers then grip it with your thumb, fore and middle finger on the barrel. Moreover, you can grip with four fingers to improve the accuracy but it is quite hard to throw with many fingers.
Step 3. Aiming the Target
Aiming is a crucial step before you release the darts. Here are some elements to have a perfect aim.
- Aim the target with our ascending eye and close the other one to reach the exactness.
- Try to form a 90-degree angle between your hand and shoulder and keep the elbow straight in line with the board.
- To prevent the darts from going down before hitting the board, you should raise it to eye level.
Step 4. Throwing the Darts
There are a few features that you should pay attention to have an ideal throw.
- Keep the body still and only use the arm and wrist while throwing.
- Raise the elbow moderately to make it move upward to avoid the previous darts.
- Keep your arm in motion to make sure the darts will move in the same direction and reach the aim target.
Tips for Throwing Like a Pro
Now you know the proper way to throw a dart. In this article, we also provide you some useful tips on how to throw darts like a pro. Let’s explore it together!
- Choose the darts that match your throwing styles.
- Practice frequently and try to play with different lengths, flight combinations to improve your skills and techniques.
- Play with a better player to find out the weaknesses and get the experience from them.
- Joining a dart club is a great opportunity for you to learn and improve as you can meet many good players there.
We believe that after reading our article, you have known the best way to throw darts.
Just combine these 4 steps with the useful tips above and you will play like a pro.